Monday, April 11, 2011

Sleeve Scrunchies

Jalynn plays volleyball and while at one of her games, I noticed the girls had their sleeves pulled up and held with a "scrunchie" (only word I can think of). I took a closer look at one of them and said to myself what we all say, "I can make that!".



The only hard part about the whole thing was finding volleyball ribbon.
I finally found it a scrapbooking store.


I kind of guessed at the size, but this one worked great.
I cut a piece of fabric 8 1/2 x 4" and folded each short side over just a little.



I did the old routine of folding in half and then folding the ends in to the middle and pressing.



It's hard to see there, but I sewed my cording on the second section before I sewed it all together.
Again, guessed on the link of the cord, but I went with 2 1/2".


Sew the whole thing around the outside. Oops, forgot to say to be sure and cut 2 pieces!



Take your ribbon that you searched high and low for and topstitch on.


Okay, here's the confusing part. Iron the whole thing in thirds so you can see each section.
Sew your velcro on two of the sections on the same side. I had to wrap it like it was going to go on and then figure out where the velcro should go.


That's how it works. Pull your sleeve up and wrap the scrunchie around the sleeve and neck. Pull it through the cord, and fasten with the velcro.


I don't play volleyball but I'm going to make me a bunch of these in different colors.
No more tucking my sleeves in my bra straps at ballgames on hot summer days!

12 comments:

emilysnan said...

hiya , i dont play volleyball either but like you say will be handy for other uses too , you did a great tutorial very easy to follow , tfs
xmahhiex

Cranberry Morning said...

Good for you! Isn't it fun to look at something and try to figure it out - and then to be successful! :-)

Christy said...

Great Idea. I was wondering how to make a sleeve scrunchie. I am your newest follower from the Magnificent Monday blog hop. Please follow back.

Christy
http://highheelsandlattes.blogspot.com/

Athena said...

Love the reference of not tucking the shirt with the bra sleeves, I will definitely be making these, thanks for the GREAT idea and GREAT tutorial.

Valerie@Occasionally Crafty said...

Those are great! I love when you can make something you see.... I'm a new follower from Meet Me Monday- (but I've been here before!) Hope you'll stop by!

Valerie-www.occasionallycrafty.blogspot.com

Susie said...

Thanks Terri for your sweet comments about my little Westie babies!!! I look forward to being featured on Saturday. Susie at Puddle Jumper Creations

Jan said...

Great idea & perfect tutorial. Thanks for sharing your idea!

New follower. :)

Emma's Lunch said...

Thanks for stopping by Emma's Lunch. I'm your newest follower! :)

Rajee said...

Thanks for stopping by. Unable to find your google friend connect to follow you. Please let me know when it works.

Rajee from Mom's Focus
http://momsfocusonline.com

Chelsea @ onehotcrafty-mama.blogspot.com said...

These look like tons of fun. I'm your newest follower. Come visit me soon. onehotcrafty-mama.blogspot.com

Baye said...

I saw this post and thought nice, but I don't need that. Then yesterday I was jogging and my bra straps kept falling, and I was thinking those t-shirt scrunchies would help with this problem. Today I wanted to keep my sleeves up while biking to avoid the dreaded "farmer's tan." Again, I'm thinking those t-shirt thingies would be great right now.

It's too funny that you are on my RSS feed, but I ended up going all over Google to find this again. I could not remember where I saw it. I came across a couple of other tutorial, but yours is the one I like best. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Just Barb said...

LOVE this tutorial! I used it and blogged about it today http://threadsofgray.blogspot.com/2012/08/functional-and-sparkly.html