Monday, September 26, 2011

Hair "Pretties"

Triniti and Tierni call anything you put in your hair a "pretty", so I thought I should get busy and make them some more "pretties".



Every now and then I come up with a brainstorm and this time it was to make headbands and barrettes using elastic thread. For the headbands I cut a 7" x 2" strip of fabric and the barrette was 4" x 2".



Using the elastic thread you sew a straight line down the middle. If you've never used this thread before you have to hand wind the bobbin and use regular thread on the top. I put my stitch length on the longest one possible. You can see it starts to pucker already.



To make it really pucker, you shoot it with steam. I used my little portable steamer, but you can use an iron. It's fun to watch, the minute you shoot the steam it starts shrinking up.



Turn it over and sew a little strip of felt on the back.



Then just glue the felt to a clip or headband.





I know I'm their Grandma, but look at those little faces!!

Have a marvelous week!

6 comments:

Karan said...

Terri those are just so cute. And your grandaughters are beautiful. Such pretty smiles.

Karan

Screaming Sardine said...

Your granddaughters are absolutely adorable, Terri. Looks like they have quite the endearing personalities, too. :)

Cheers,
Tracy Screaming Sardine

Nikki said...

Stopping by from the Monday blog hop!
I love the hair bows, they are too cute!

http://www.southernpixie.com

Cranberry Morning said...

Yes, I can see why you love those little faces! So sweet - and don't they love the fun things their grandma makes for them!

Terry said...

Pretty indeed. Who doesn't love Hello Kitty.

Audrey said...

Cute, cute, cute! Love your sweet granddaughters. Thanks for visiting my blog...you are so kind.
Blessings, Audrey