Friday, November 25, 2011

Placemat Purse


Yep, that's a placemat.



I found them marked down to $1.00 at Wal-Mart and loved the colors. Unfortunately, they didn't match anything in my dining room!



I started by finding the middle and then marking and sewing 2 straight lines 2 1/4" from the middle.
This just helps the sides fold up straight.



I took velcro strips and sewed them inside the two lines. Sew the top half of the velcro to the bottom of your purses. I just kind of winged the purses and was shocked when they came out perfect. As soon as I figure out exactly what I did, I'll show you how I made them. You really could use any purse pattern you have, just make sure they're not wider on the bottom than 2".



I used cotton webbing for the handles (15" strips).



Cut 2 strips of ribbon 15" long and be sure to burn the edges so it doesn't fray.



Then sew the ribbon between the handles on both sides.



Your purses attach to the velcro side by side.









While I'm writing this post and looking at the pictures, now I'm thinking it would really make a cute lunch bag. Your own placemat built right in!

I'll be joining these fabulous parties this week.

17 comments:

Judy Haughton-James said...

Hi Terri,
This is very creative and beautiful. I like the mix of colours in the leaves. Really lovely. Take care and have a good weekend.
Judy

Hannah said...

this is just too awesome. i can't believe that is a place mat gorgeous!

Terry said...

Very cute. I think you're right about the lunch bag, that would be super adorable too.

Vanessa said...

Hi, Terri

What a great idea. Lovely!

Vanessa

Cranberry Morning said...

That is really a terrific idea! Love it! :-) I'll have to be on the lookout for some pretty placemats now.

Jennifer @ The Brilliant Crafty Type said...

Wow, what an idea! Brilliant!

Jill said...

Cute little purse! and you're right - it would be perfect for a lunch bag with built in mat!! Ingenious!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Tammy said...

This is just lovely! Thanks so much for sharing it with us :)

Who "NEW" Creations said...

ADORAABLE. Always like to pick up new inspiration.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Love the idea of the lunch bag and place mat! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

shopannies said...

looks super cute great idea and as versatile as the patterns in the placemat come see what I shared

Shannon at madiganmade said...

What a creative way to make a purse! Love the idea of using little bags within the placemat!

Winnie said...

I Love it. It's very beautiful, and you are very creative!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

This is just too cool. I love it.

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Genius idea and love your color / pattern choices. Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House !

Lianne said...

This is such a cute idea! I love it!

I would love for you to come link up at my blog this week starting today!
snap, craft & blog till your heart's {content} @ a content housewife {blog}

Have a great week!
-Lianne

Mimi said...

Amazing! Love that print!