Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Crocheting Saga

You probably ought to get some tissues, this is really sad!

 BUT, it ends happy, so don't leave me.

I think I told you all that I was starting a crochet class that I found out that the library has when I took Tierni to Story Time there. I took the info and it said you had to register. Being the genius I am, I wasn't worried because I figured I would probably be the only person there, so I waited until Monday last week to call and sign up. The class was full!! Are you kidding me??? I was so excited and now what was I going to do?

I went back to the library and checked out these books.



I don't need any stupid class, I can learn how to do this by myself.
No, I can't!



My chain stitch was a disaster and it was a mile long. Greg was working nights and when he woke up in the afternoon and saw what I was doing, he asked me if I was making a jump rope. He told me I probably needed to turn the page of the book and learn how to turn left or right.



That didn't work out so well.



I trashed the shortened jump rope and started all over with making it smaller.
Didn't work, either!

I complained vented to my friend, Terry (These Peas Taste Funny), and she told me to check out this video. Terry is awesome to find that for me because now look what I've done.



Now I know there are a million mistakes in it, but I'm finally learning! You've got to admit, it's much better than the other attempts. I can learn something new so much faster if I can see what someone else is doing instead of pictures from a book. Especially because I didn't take Greek in high school and couldn't understand anything in the books!

Here's more good news to this sad story, the library called and there were so many that responded that they're starting a new class this Friday! Yes, I'm in!!


Today is the last day to enter the Giveaway. You will love that wine tote pattern, so be sure to enter if you haven't already!

13 comments:

Amanda said...

You've done fantastically well, crochet just amazes me! Well done on getting a place in the course, you'll be crocheting up a storm in no time!

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

Nice! Thanks for sharing the video. I have to watch it and give it a try. My aunt is willing to teach me but I can never manage to get over to her house to do it with my schedule. Looks like you are heading in a great direction!

Terry said...

It's beautiful. You brought a tear to my eye with crocheting prowess. :) Glad the video helped.

Kadie said...

I LOVE that you are adding your creative talent to the world of crochet!! Looks like you are off to a great start. I love u-tube videos for crochet help I am a visual learner too.

Judy said...

I taught myself how to crochet from a book, but until I actually sat with someone and had them teach me, it was like a foreign language.

Cranberry Morning said...

LOL. Great story, Terri!! :-) I also learn so much better from videos. I know that when I want to really understand how to do a certain stitch in knitting, for example, I go to knittinghelp.com and there's a video for EVERY stitch! I'm sure it's the same with crochet. What would we do without YouTube and online videos. Congratulations. You're making great progress.

Agy said...

Love your post! Videos are easier! :-)

Melissa said...

It looks great! I can't believe how quick you got from the squiggly pieces to the nice little square. I tried to teach myself too, ended up with a squiggly 5-6 chains. I'm going to book mark that video for the next time I want to give it a try!

Cheryl @ Sew Can Do said...

I'm going to check that video out. I too have felt like a failure with trying to learn to crochet. I've been able to figure out almost every other craft on my own, but that one has eluded me. Glad I'm not the only one who had a rough start & now I'm inspired by what you've done!

Byn Always said...

I LOVE it!! I love the witty humor, and wow at the end product! You can tell a true blogger when they think to take photos of the failed attempts as well as the end result!!:)

A new follower from the blog hop!

Jessica said...

I love your crocheting story! I have had a love/hate relationship with crocheting myself. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it's just funky. Found you on Haute Mom at the blog hop. If you'd like to stop by for a chat, I am at: http://www.mommyhoodbyjess.com
Have a nice day! ~Jessica

Jessica said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, I am your newest follower! :)

Kate @ craftwhatever said...

Wow! Nice work, Terri! I have no idea how to do any of that yarn stuff. Looks like I will need that video when I ever learn. Pretty nice results!!