Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fabric Covered Boxes

You all know about my obsession with learning how to crochet, but I really have been stepping away for a minute and working on my craft room. I'm going to be so thrilled when it's all done and I really should take a week and do nothing but get it finished. Problem is, Greg thinks he needs to eat every day and have clean underwear, so that's probably not going to happen. Especially with a crochet hook in my hand! Anyway, I've been working on storage boxes.



When I started filling my shelves and getting organized, I realized I didn't have near enough baskets for storage. I wasn't going to put a plain box in there, so I started covering them with fabric and colored duct tape.



I took my boxes and glued batting around the sides. I used Aleene's Tacky Glue Spray. Love that stuff! I cut off the flaps, but don't throw them away, we'll use them later.



I measured my fabric to go around the box (with extra for turning under) and added a few inches to the top and bottom. Wrap the fabric around the box and use hot glue on the folded edge.



Hot glue the bottom down like you're wrapping a package.



Then hot glue to the inside of the top of the box.



Remember the flaps we cut off? Time to cover them.



After they're all covered, glue them to the inside of the box. Probably most people would cover the whole inside, but I knew mine were going on a shelf in the closet and would be packed full, so I didn't mess with that.



Well, look at that! I actually have been working (a little)!



Baby steps. I'm taking baby steps, but it will get done!

It's a Party starts this afternoon. See you then!


Pin It

8 comments:

Kaysi said...

Love the boxes, what a great idea!!

Kate said...

Great idea! Your storage area is looking good - well done!

Cranberry Morning said...

Don't you just hate it when men get unreasonable like that and want food and clean clothes. I mean, really! ;-))))

Very pretty boxes, Terri. Great idea!

Terry said...

Super cute. I was giggling because my office/craft room is filled with those Keurig coffee boxes too, lol. At least, that's what it looked like in the photos. And for the record, I wouldn't have thought to do the inside at all. Looks great.

Baye said...

So I'm not the only one with a husband who thinks that since I work at home, I should, well, work at home! This is why I always buy him clothes for gifts. That way he can go weeks before noticing that I've not done the laundry.

Love the fabric on the boxes!

Grammy Goodwill said...

Your boxes look great.

pinkertonjamesl said...

Fabrics covers boxes are look so fabulous.We can use box to give gift some ones.


brochure holders

Fabiola Garza said...

Hello there!! The boxes are looking great!

My apologies but english is not my native language, I have a question. What does "batting" mean??? That paper you wraped around the box before the fabric. Is it waxed kitchen paper???

Best Regards from Monterrey Mexico!!