Friday, February 17, 2012

Sunflower Clock

I have a confession to make. You better sit down, it may shock you. I love sunflowers. No really, I love sunflowers! It's the little things that make you happy, and sunflowers make me happy!



So I made a clock!



I bought that old wall clock at a garage sale for 50 cents. #1 reason why you go to garage sales and #2 reason why you save everything because eventually you will do something with it. And no, I haven't had my hoarder intervention yet, and yes, I am enabling all of you fellow crafters!

I took the clock all apart (that was half the fun!).



I started with the face of the clock and mod-podged sunflower paper on it.



Then I took that outside wood piece and covered it with burlap.



To cover it, I cut a big circle out of burlap (not the middle part, yet) that was about an inch or two larger than the wood piece. I sewed (by hand) a basting stitch around the outside and pulled it tight to fit the wood, then I hot-glued it down.

Then with the middle, I cut it in several places up to the wood and glued each section down. I hope you can tell that from the picture, I forgot to take photo's of these steps.



I glued sunflower buttons on top for the hours. I did have to snip that little thing off the back of the button so it would lay flat. The buttons are plastic, so it popped right off with jewelry snips.

Oh, and first I put the clock back together. When you're taking the clock apart, it might be a good idea to write down how it all goes back together or you might have to mess with it for an hour to get it back together. Not that I would know anything about that (wink), just saying.



Oh, sunflowers, how I love thee!



I can't wait to show you how I'm going to hang this on the wall. I just thought of it while I was making the clock, so nothing is finished, yet.


I'm joining These fabulous parties this week.



Pin It

24 comments:

Kate said...

You clever gal!!!! That's beautiful!!

Justine said...

Stopping by from the Friday Blog AND Google + Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

Cranberry Morning said...

That is so pretty, Terri! I have never EVER thought of taking a clock apart. Now the possibilities are virtually endless. Fun!!♥

pinkertonjamesl said...

Sun flower clock look so fabulous and beautiful.I really like this clock.This is the best trick to make watch at home.

brochure holders

Pam said...

That is SO cool!!!

Shiloh said...

I never even thought of taking a clock apart to put a new "cover" on it. It's fantastic. You did such a nice job.

Balancing said...

I agree with the others... this is so fantastic and really opens up a new way of looking at the outdated wall clocks at the thrift. Thanks for sharing this idea!

thisyearsdozen said...

I love your clock!! I bought a few at the thrift store and hadn't done anything with them. Thanks for the idea.

Donna

Jill said...

That clock looks fabulous Terri! What a great idea to spruce up a cheap old clock!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

How cute is that!?! I love that sunflowers make you happy! The burlap is so on trend right now yet timeless :)

Terry said...

That is super cute. Sunflowers are so sunny and happy. We planted a bunch one year, waited for them, watched them raise up,.....and then face the other way - snubbing us. It didn't occur to us when we planted them that of course they're going to face the sun. D'oh. lol

4you-withlove said...

This is awesome! I never would have thought to take the clock apart! :D

OhioMomPatriot said...

This is so Summery, I have almost stopped shivering! Thanks for sharing!

Marriage from Scratch said...

This is adorable!
I’d love if you would come link this up at From Scratch Friday!

~Christina
www.marriagefromscratch.blogspot.com

Kayla said...

Saw this on the TT&J linky party. So cute! My sister loves sunflowers and something like this would make the perfect gift for her birthday! :)

Mindie Hilton said...

Great clock. Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time friend.

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

What a fun clock and a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House!

Julie said...

I am inviting you come and be part of my blog hop:
http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/02/stuffed-green-peppers-show-your-stuff.html

Katie @ Pincushion Creations said...

Super cute! I like sunflowers too! Would love for you to come check out my blog and link up your projects on my "homemade By You" link party on Wednesday! Newest follower here!

Less Is More said...

I would NEVER have thought to do that but it's ADORABLE! Very inspiring!

AmieAnn said...

This is sooo sweet~ Love the bright colors of the flowers with the subduded contrast of the burlap! Great job! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

This just brightens up my day--seeing sunflowers on a cold Colorado day! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Six Sisters said...

This clock is so cute and clever! We loved having you join us at "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

Lisa Montsion said...

I love the clock. When I was little I loved to eat sunflower seeds.

lisa