Friday, June 15, 2012

Placemats using Sizzix

After I made the table runner that I did here, the table still needed a little more.



I went to my "old faithful" Sizzix and whipped these up in less than an hour.



Way before I bought a Cricut and then a Silhouette Cameo, I had a Big Shot by Sizzix. It's still my go to "old friend" when it comes to projects like this. I also use it a lot when making rag quilts.



This is the die I used for this and also the rag quilts.



The die's are normally around $25.00 - $30.00 but JoAnn's has them on clearance a lot and I pick them up then when I can. I thought you could see the price on there, but obviously, you can't. Those were marked down to $3.00!



Anyway...I cut 5" squares and lay them in layers on the die and run them through the machine.



Perfect cut every time!



I'm pretty sure you know the drill, but you layer your batting between two squares (wrong sides together).



You need to sew an X on each square. To make it go faster, I do one continuous strip going one way, cut apart and do the same thing to finish the X.



Then sew your squares together in strips and then join the strips.



I forgot to sew around the whole piece before I took these pictures, but you need to do that, also. When I use the scallop squares, I don't clip the seams, just the corners (where the arrow is).



This hasn't been washed yet, but they keep looking better and better with each wash.



The back.



Okay, Terri, walk away from the kitchen and quit finding things to do in there!

Happy Friday!


Pin It



I join These fabulous parties each week.

17 comments:

About JollyJilly said...

Wow you know i never thought of using my machine to cut fabric lol. I have tried with my cricut but never get a clean cut. I am going to try that out ASAP and many thanks for sharing.
Hi I am a new follower from the blog hop and really enjoyed your blog and plan to come back often.
If you have spare time please come visit me anytime, I am over in the UK
www.jollyjillys.blogspot.com

Swanky Baby's Mom said...

Great blog! I'm following you from the Hop Along Friday hop. I hope you will stop by Swanky Baby and follow us too! Have a good weekend!

Swanky Baby
swankybaby.net

Melissa said...

That is so cool! I don't know how many times I've had a sore wrist from snipping rag quilts. Oh I hate that part! This seems like a way better way to go!

Kristi said...

What a cute placemat!! So fun with those cute edges! Would be delighted for you to link up with us over at Mop It Up Mondays: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/06/mop-it-up-mondays-21-with-give-away.html

{HUGS},
kristi

Jill said...

Cute little placemats Terri! I like em!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I'm a neutral loving girl and love how this looks!

Malory {Snips & Spice} said...

This is such a great idea! I love the scalloped edge, and how quickly you can whip these up. I would love for you to link this to my Sunday Slice party.

Malory
http://snips-and-spice.blogspot.com/2012/06/sunday-slice-its-party-1.html

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Those placemats are so cute! I love the scalloped edges and colors. Looks great! Megan

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Brilliant! They look great with your wall, too.

<3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
Wildly Original Round Up party is open.

Connie said...

Love this post, please link it up with me Wednesday on Wow Us Wednesday. Liked you on facebook :)

The Other Me Is Sane said...

you make it look so easy. I'll be back to check out your older posts and learn some new craft skills!

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

Wow! These are wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing at our Handmade Tuesdays party.

Laura @ cookiecrumbsandsawdust.blogspot said...

Terri,

These placements are so whimisical - I love the scallop edge. If only I could sew. . .

I followed you over from the Handy Man, Crafy Woman linky party. I would love if you stopped by my blog.

Thanks for sharing,
Laura

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

So smart! I haven't tried fabric through my die cutter but makes complete sense and turned out great.

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

I love your old school fabric cutter ... and had never heard of one before ...

And it just looks so cute. Not all high techy and plasticky like those modern day cutters ...

:)

Linda

Kadie said...

How fun!! I totally need one of those things! I love anything ragged. Thanks for partying with us.:)

Six Sisters said...

Oh my goodness! These are adorable!!! Thanks for linking up to "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We hope to see you next week! -The Sisters