Friday, July 20, 2012

Butterfly Clutch

It didn't start out being a butterfly clutch...



and it's not supposed to be a butterfly, but that's what it reminds me of.



We went to a wedding recently, and Christina was carrying that cute little clutch. Mine was supposed to be a knock off of it. I guess it is, kind of.



I started by cutting 2 pieces of front fabric and 2 pieces of lining fabric 10" x 7". I ironed on lightweight interfacing to all 4 pieces.



I used a 9" zipper and put it face up on the right side of the lining fabric. Then put the front fabric right side down and pin. Be sure everything is laying even.



Using a zipper foot, sew the three pieces together.



Fold your front and lining wrong sides together, iron, and topstitch.



Do the exact same thing for the other side. I hope I explained that okay. It's really not complicated at all.



For the ruffles on the front, I cut 8 pieces 11" x 3" and rounded the corners. Sew right sides together on your 4 sets.



Turn and topstitch along the curved edge. Sew a long basting stitch along the straight edge.



Mark the center of your front side and lay 2 of the ruffles down in the center and stitch.



Sew the other 2 ruffles underneath the first 2 on each side.



The center piece was 2 1/2" x 10" that I folded in half and sewed.



Turn and press with seam in the middle.



Lay it in the middle and start pinning, pulling up the fabric as you go to make the ruffles.



Sew around all sides of the center band.



For the little loop, cut a piece 2" x 4", sew, turn, and topstitch.



Tack it on the right side of the purse.
Okay, we're finally ready to put this thing together!



Here is the most important part of this whole tutorial. Unzip your zipper halfway! Fold your right sides of the front of the purse together and sew together along the three sides. Remember, your zipper at the top is open halfway.



That's why it's so important, you're going to turn your clutch right side out through the zipper.



Turn and press.



Put a little ring through the loop and I made the wristlet just like I did the key fobs here only I used fabric instead of ribbon.

I still think it looks like a butterfly. Oh well...

Happy Friday!


Pin It


Here are the places I party each week.

18 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Terri, I love this!! I'm going to pin it, and when the busyness of summer is over, I'm going to make a couple of these. I like yours even better than the other one, so don't be surprised if I copy it as closely as possible. :-D

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed! This makes me want to amp up my sewing skills.

Kristiina from typicalhousecat.com

Jill said...

BEAUTIFUL Terri! I love how it looks like a butterfly! :)


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Emily said...

well done! Wow, what great sewing and a super detailed tutorial too! Thanks for sharing, I loved it!
http://www.nap-timecreations.com

Wendy said...

yours is much nice than the shop bought one! Thanks for sharing

Shannon said...

Cute! I've been wanting to make a cute clutch or carrying pouch myself!

Emily said...

When my sewing skills improve greatly, I'm doing this.

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

That's really cute! Thanks for sharing at our Handmade Tuesdays party.

Rachel {Lines Across} said...

Adorable! I love the green color.

kikistok said...

I Love it. i will have to try it.
i whould love for you to check my blog, oneofakind-kikistok.blogspot.com

Trixi said...

wow this looks so pretty! I love the nice colours. Makes me want to try to make a clutch as well haha :)

I would be honored if you would add it to my link party: http://trixih.blogspot.no/2012/07/link-party_23.html

Trixi said...

wow this looks so pretty! I love the nice colours. Makes me want to try to make a clutch as well haha :)

I would be honored if you would add it to my link party: http://trixih.blogspot.no/2012/07/link-party_23.html

Fancy That Notion said...

This is so adorable! Totally going on the to-do list. maybe Christmas presents? Thanks for sharing!

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

OK. I love it! Thanks for well written tutorial! -Marci

howdy-honey.com said...

Love this idea! I just got a sewing machine, so I'm motivated to try a little project like this!

neenaballerina said...

I think it's cute! Thanks for such clear photos of sewing a zipper - I might be brave enough to give it another go!!!

Sara said...

Good for you for creating your own pattern from another purse and taking off with it!! Awesome job! It is gorgeous!

Sew Set said...

This is adorable! I love your color combo! I hope you will consider adding a photo of it into SewSet, a new on-line sewing pattern & tutorial search engine, so others can find it and you in the future when looking!

Thanks so much for sharing!
- Jess, SewSet.com