Friday, August 24, 2012

Hair Twisters


When my friend and I went to a craft show last weekend, there was a booth that everyone was running to. They were selling Hair Twisters.


 
I had never seen them before, have you? The girls there were absolutely grabbing them up! I knew I had to try and make some, so when we got home, I made a trip to Hobby Lobby for polymer clay.
 
 
 
The hardest part was getting the clay soft enough to work with. Then I started rolling and rolling until it was the size I wanted. That piece was probably 2 feet long (or maybe a little longer).
 
 
 
I wanted to add a charm, so I made a loop at one end.
 
 
 
Use a pencil and start coiling the clay around it. It's kind of tricky getting the pencil back out, but work with it slowly and it will come out.
 
 
 
Then bake in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes and let cool.
 
 
 
Now you can add charms or beads if you want.
 
 
 
To put it in your hair, grab a section of hair and start twisting it around. It stays in perfectly! If it starts to slip, you need to grab a bigger section of hair.
 
 
 
 
 
I can't wait for Jordyn to see them this weekend, they'll be so cute in her long hair!
 
 
Pin It


I'll be joining these parties this week.

16 comments:

Robin said...

These are super cute!!! I think that I may have to make my daughter some. How much were they selling them for at the craft show? thanks for sharing!

Daisy Chain Mom said...

I think my daughter will like something like this.Thanks for the pics showing how to make them. will it stay even when running around?

Jennifer said...

Oh, this is just too cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

Paula Yenerall said...

These are just too cute. I would love to know the cost for you to make them and also what they were selling for at the craft fair. I'm thinking this would make a great item to sell at my local farmer's market/craft shows. Thanks! Paula

Mel said...

I love these, I have to make them for my daughters. Pinning this idea. Visiting from Lines across my face

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm said...

I have never heard of these! yours look awesome! It seems like they would be delicate...are they pretty strong?

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

Wow, so cute!! I would love for you to stop by My Dream Canvas. Have a great week Anu.

Shirley Ann said...

So cute! Thanks for posting about this!

Etcetorize said...

Such a smart idea! I can't wait to make a batch for my niece~

Crystelle said...

What a great idea to make them yourself from polymer clay!
Super cute! I'll show my daughter...!

Jill said...

Oh my goodness! I've never seen these before! How cool!! - and even better that you made your own Terri!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Love this tutorial!

Kadie said...

How fun, and how clever of you to figure out how to make your own!! Thanks for partying with me this week!!

Little Daddyz Girl said...

I actually just ran across one of these in my storage box from 2004 or earlier! So I have heard of them! lol. I absolutely loved it in junior high and high school! I have a multi-colored one that I absolutely love! I think the one I had bought was between $8 and $12? I bought it at a craft fair. Like I said, that was, at a minimum, 8 years ago! I imagine they would be much cheaper to make! You can get almost 2 oz of colored polymer clay (which is what I would probably use, like she did) for about $2.50 plus tax, at your local hobby store (I looked on hobbylobby.com).

As for the durability, mine did break in half after awhile. It works better if you wrap your hair around it, instead of wrapping it around your hair. If you bend it too much, it will tear. You also don't want to pull on it, which can be tempting, cause it does "boing" like a curl would. So, they are durable, but can be semi-fragile if you're not careful. They will last if you take care of them.

They do stay in your hair pretty well. You have to make sure you use a big enough piece of hair, though, especially if you have fine hair like I do. If you use too little, it will easily slide out. Even if you use enough hair, you probably don't want to head bang or anything like that lol. It'd be a good idea to think of a way to make it so that it will stay in better. I'll be brainstorming on that before I make mine!

jacky 谢 said...

http://www.ywluyang.cn/search/product?SearchText=hair+twister

jacky 谢 said...

http://www.ywluyang.cn/search/product?SearchText=hair+twister


yes it's so cute, welcome contact me! ywluyang@hotmail.com