Monday, August 6, 2012

Make Your Own Canvas Photo

I found the most amazing tutorial for making your own Canvas Photo at A Beautiful Mess the other day and knew I just had to try it!



Her post goes into all the detail and answers questions, so be sure to check it out. I'll give you my short version.



I love that photo of my boys, Josh & Brandon. It was taken on the ferry at Magic Kingdom. I took it up to Office Depot and copied it on a laser printer.



I used gel medium to put the photo on the canvas and the next day, squirted it with water and started rubbing the paper off. Notice when you do this, your image is reversed.



The squirting and rubbing part takes forever, but hang in there, it's so worth the effort!



Ta-Da!! The last step is cover the whole thing with another coat of the gel medium to seal it.



The only thing I might try doing differently (and I'm really not sure if it will work), is to use a matte sealer (like Mod Podge) to seal it instead of the gel medium. I really liked it better before it was sealed without the streaks. But, I still love it!

 
Happy Monday!

 
Pin It

5 comments:

Baye said...

Isn't it funny how favorite pics are often those where the people are not facing you? I guess it's catching the essence of their relationship. I have one of my boys walking down a tree covered lane when they were quite young that everyone loves. I'll have to try putting it on canvas.

Diane said...

Hmmm... interesting process... I cant believe it worked! LOL

Linda Nortje said...

I use AEROSOL hairspray as a sealant - works like a miracle when using on jetprinted pics! Just an idea...
Linda
With A Blast

Skylar Magazine said...

That's super cool! I'll have to try that one!

Sarah
http://skylarinc.blogspot.com/

Hoa Bracken said...

What’s great about creating your own canvas photo is that after you make them, you can hang it on the wall or display it in a room and you can stare at how beautiful it is! You will really appreciate it even more because you know that you put in the effort to come up with this and you were really the one who made this project. :’)

Hoa Bracken