Friday, November 2, 2012

Whimsical Tote Bag


I was recently chosen as one of the lucky bloggers to participate in the Fabric for Tutorial Exchange hosted by Fabric Fascination and Totally Tutorials. I want to give them a huge thank you for allowing me to play along!


 
I needed a fun, tall tote bag and when I saw the fabric, I knew that's what I wanted to make with it.
 
 
 
 
I chose the Dan Bennett Wild Garden collection and received 1/2 yd of each.
 
 
 
I knew I would be lugging the bag around with me everywhere, so I decided to add the jean fabric to the bottom of the bag.
 
I cut 2 pieces of the outside fabric 14" x 11 1/2".
2 pieces of the jeans, 14" x 6 1/2"
Cut 2 pieces of the lining and 4 pieces of iron-on interfacing 14" x 17".
 
For the straps, cut (2) 4" x 22" pieces out of the lining fabric.
Cut 2 pieces of interfacing, 2" x 22".
 
 
 
Sew the outside fabric to the jeans fabric (both pieces, front and back).
Now you can iron on your interfacing to all 4 pieces (outside and lining).
 
 
 
For the straps, iron your interfacing to half of the strip, fold right sides together and stitch. Turn your strap right side out and top stitch along long sides.
 
 
 
Sew your straps to the right side of the outside pieces about 1/4" from edge.
 
 
 
Now you'll take both of the outside pieces and sew it right sides together with the lining pieces only at the top.
 
 
 
Now is the time to add a magnetic snap or pocket if you wish to the lining. For the pocket in this bag, I used a pocket from the jeans I cut up for the bottom.
 
 
 
Lay your front and lining piece out flat and put the other section on top to sew. Right sides together.
 
 
 
After it's sewn, you're going to turn the whole thing right side out through the bottom of the lining, so be sure and leave about a 5" gap for turning.
 
 
 
After it's sewn, mark a 1" square in each corner. Be sure to measure the 1" from your stitch lines and not the edge of the fabric.
 
 
 
Trim seams and cut out the square you made.
 
 
On all 4 corners, match the seams and sew across. This creates the flat bottom of the bag.
 
 
 
Turn bag right side out through the hole in the lining and sew the lining shut at the bottom.
 
 
 
Push lining down in your bag, press and top stitch along edge. I covered buttons and added to the top, you know, just for fun.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I can't tell you how much I'm loving that fabric, it makes me happy every time I look at it!
 
 
To see more of Kym's awesome fabric, visit her Etsy shop, Fabric Fascination.
 
Happy Friday!
 

Pin It

I join these parties each week.

19 comments:

Rebecca @ Herons Crafts said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! That fabric is so fun and I love it! Great call on the denim base - very hard wearing!
Have a great weekend!
Rebecca

Ali said...

What a lovely bag, the fabric is gorgeous. AND a fantasic tutorial. Hope you have some great days out with your bag.
Ali x

Sandy said...

Love that fabric too... it makes a great bag! Thanks for the tutorial, too :)

Lindsey said...

This is great. I love bright, festive prints and these are gorgeous. Clever idea with the jean pocket - perfect for a cell phone (I'm always fishing for mine otherwise).

Katie B said...

Love the fabric! Nice job on the bag!

(un)Deniably Domestic said...

Very nice indeed and I love, love, love the fabric! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Bonny Yokeley said...

This bag looks awesome. You did a great job. I've been tempted to try a bag myself but haven't yet.

Ana Lopes said...

Gorgeous!!! Fabulous fabric! Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial!
Happy week!

Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

So pretty! I love the fabric!

I just got a vintage Singer sewing machine so I am trying to learn to sew!

Alisha @ Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

This came out great. I love the fabrics and the style of this tote. Gret for shopping. Stopping by from Sumo's Sweet Stuff linky party.

Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2012/10/happy-halloween-evil-queen-costume.html

Ana Sullivan said...

I Found you over at A Round Tuit. I love the repurpose of your jeans incorporated into this bag. I have a whole pile of jeans I have been saving to repurpose but haven't quite found the right thing. I think this is it. See my Homemade Pizza at:
http://www.thelostapron.com/2012/11/homemade-pizza.html

Sewing for Utange said...

Beautiful fabric. Denim is such a great material for bags, and I love the way you have used the denim. I repurpose a lot of denim to raise money for a charity I support.

Jill said...

Gorgeous fabric - and a great bag Terri!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Crystelle Boutique said...

That fabric is PERFECT for a whimsical happy cheerful tote.... what a terrific find...
And that interior pocket: adorable!

hugs x
Crystelle
http://www.crystelleboutique.com

supermomnocape said...

Your tote turned out really pretty. Love the fabrics. Great tutorial!

Crafty Gardener said...

Lovely tote bag, one can never have too many totes.

Mariel said...

I would love for you to share this (or any of your other great ideas) at the link party going on through tomorrow night at ‘Or so she says …’ Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

SR luin said...

Good to see such nice tote bags with beautiful customization. Tote bags are a symbol of stylish gesture and smart personality. Popularity of tote bag is increasing day by day. As it is a nice product, some customization can take the style/smartness to a new level. Wanna know more.

Custom Tote Bags

With A Blast said...

Just wanted to know whether you are aware that this full tutorial of yours has been copied, pasted and shared by someone else? She did one of my posts, before I could stop her! There is a link to our sites, but why would people come over to us, if she shares the whole project on her e-mails? See link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TerisCraftsNewsletter/message/1240