Friday, December 7, 2012

Old Jeans to Holiday Apron


I don't wear an apron when I cook. It's seems to be a little too June Cleaver-ish for me, BUT, I'm thinking I would wear this one.


 
I didn't think it was a problem before about not wearing an apron, then when I was cooking Thanksgiving dinner, Greg told me to take a look at the sides of my jeans. Apparently, that's where everything ends up!
 
 
 
I took an old pair of jeans and cut the front out of them (rounding the corners).
 
 
 
I measured around the outside edge of the jean section and then cut my fabric 8" x 1 1/2 times the measurement of the outside. The next one I make I'm going to double it so it will have a few more ruffles.
 
Sew your strip wrong sides together at the short ends.
 
 
 
Turn right side out and press.
 
 
 
Baste along the raw edge. Before I gather it, I always mark the middle of the strip with a pin.
 
 
 
I wanted the raw edge to show so I pinned it around the top of the outside.
 
 
 
Sew all the way around. I started my ruffles right below the waistband of the jeans.
 
 
 
For the belt, I ripped two 4" strips the width of the fabric and sewed the ends together to make one long strip. I should have cut that edge off the fabric, but I'm lazy like that. It won't show anyway.
 
 
 
Fold your long strip in half and center it through the belt loops. It's hard to see in the photo but I stitched the belt in place at the arrow to hold it.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I'm going to use these for a few Christmas presents as a set with matching towels and pot holders.
 
Happy Friday!
 

Pin It

To see where I party during the week, click Here.

14 comments:

Terri D. said...

That is just too cute!! You are so creative! I just can't think of things like this, but sure appreciate being able to use your wonderful ideas!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Yeah, well, we don't call you 'Creative Princess' for nothing! ♥ lol

These are darling! I bet my granddaughters would love them. And BTW, I have to wear a full-body apron because I manage to get olive oil spots on every shirt I own if I don't! I bet I could make a top for this. Love it!

Cranberry Morning said...

P.S. You've been pinned! I gave you attribution so somebody else should be able to go to your blog and read it.

Amber said...

Clever!

Baye said...

My son's gf would love an apron from his old jeans. Thanks for the idea and tutorial.

michele said...

and such a great gift for a new bride i think!

hope you'll find a moment to stop by and hopefully enter a giveaway i am hosting: http://www.hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/12/personalized-lovely-giveaway.html

smiles and happy weekend to you.

michele

Feral Turtle said...

Awesome creation! I love the look of the apron while wearing jeans too. So cute! Cheers.

Jill said...

Brilliant Terri! Love a good upcycle - particularly with jeans!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

Cute! I am following via GFC, Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest. I also grabbed your button for my party page and will come back to participate this week. I host a weekly party that you are welcome to attend: Pin Me Linky Party

Jessica White said...

Very cute! I collect aprons and wear them whenever I cook. I may give this a try.

Ana Lopes said...

So cute, Terri!!! Love the idea,the colors and fabrics! Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial!
Happy week !

Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Pam Jackson said...

Like you, I don't wear one but also like you I think I would wear that one for sure. It is so cute and adorable. Thank you for sharing.

Hanna said...

Hi there!!!! I LOVE this project. so cute!!! Your blog is great too. I'm hanna and I am your newest follower:) Nice meeting you:) Yo can find me any old time at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!! xoxoxoxo Hanna

Kassi Mortensen said...

I have a little jeans apron like this and just love it! How fun to make one specifically for the holidays!!! Thanks for sharing it on Fancy This Fridays with us! We featured you today on Truly Lovely FYI! ;)