Friday, April 12, 2013

Our Barn Tin Walls Reveal


We finally finished the remodeling of our living/dining room!

We've lived in our house 20+ years and in all that time, we never really used our living room. We lived in the family room and the living room was basically just a piano and organ room.

Our dining room is off the living room and too small for our big family, so we turned the dining room into an office and moved the dining room table to the living room. 

Now that we occasionally use that room, the hideous wallpaper that I ignored all these years, had to go.




We bought barn tin a couple of years ago to hang and it's been sitting in storage ever since.

When we had our big 12+ inches of snow a month ago, Greg ran up to storage the day before and brought the tin home. He loves to do "projects" in the winter when we're snowed in. (If he doesn't have something to do to keep him busy, he drives me and the dog nuts!)




Speaking of the dog, he's always got to be right in the middle of everything.




Austin (on the right)  came by while Greg was working on the room to shovel our driveway. Greg told him to forget the driveway and clear a spot to the hot tub so he could get to it later.


Okay, want to see the room?




Ignore the wallpaper on the stairs, that's going away next, but while Greg was hanging tin, I was painting and staining the stairs. My craft room is up there, hence the sunflowers ;) 




We stopped the tin on the landing and eventually will paint that wall white.
The country window you see is Here.




Greg had old farm doors that he brought home after replacing them on a job and we hung those on both walls going into the room. The stained glass was from an old church that wanted them replaced with windows. 




This is looking into the room from the entryway. The office is straight back.
Sorry that's so blurry, it was the only picture I took of that shot.




You can kind of see the floor in this picture, it's Barn Wood Pergo.




(The plate chargers are Here and the burlap lamp shade is Here.)




Looking in the room from the office.

Guess what I want next for that room? I really need and want a huge country table with benches.
I've started the search for one.








I can't tell you how happy I am with this room now and so thankful for that snowstorm that got Greg moving on it!




Yes, it is!

Have an awesome Friday!

Pin It

Here are the parties I join every week.

22 comments:

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

I love, love, LOVE this room! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

marufhosen said...

Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you cool blog piece on the marble quarries.
Hexagonal floor Tile

Wanda Baarman said...

How cool is that! it looks amazing. Your hubby sounds like mine and our hot tub is vital to projects getting done. I love it that you took a little used living room and turned it a dining room. I am going to consider that in the future as the fam. grows. Have a nice day!

Rajib Hossain said...

Amazing kitchens! I am having marble in my next kitchen, without a doubt. Why is it every house in Houston seems to have dark wood cabinets and granite (including mine)? I'm so over that look, but Houston is way behind the kitchen design curve. None of my neighbours can fathom a white kitchen with white marble. I just don't get it!
Hexagonal floor Tile

Terri D. said...

Sprucing up and redecorating is so much fun!! (Yes, lots of work, too.) Your new room(s) look fabulous. I never would have thought about tin on the walls, but it makes for a great country look. You have some lovely furniture pieces. Thanks for sharing the project with us!!

Angie Church said...

what a reward it will be when the work is all done but one always wonders when it is going on til the beauty is seen enjoyed my visit here
come visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

Awesome!

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

Now that's my style. enJOYed!

Sonia said...

What a transformation! So much work must have been involved to completing this look. Very much worth waiting for haha :)
I'm visiting today from DIY Home Sweet Home :)

Reduce, Reuse, Renewed said...

How fun! What a great reuse of materials.

Katie @ Creatively Living said...

Those have such a neat patina! Way to think outside the box! Thanks for linking it up at Monday Funday!

Samantha said...

1) Forget the driveway, clear a path to the hot tub made me laugh...I love it!

2) Why don't you keep the table you already have but buy some planks to make a new bigger, longer tabletop and screw it to the top of your existing table then finish it how you want? It'll be cheaper and give you something to blog about lol!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

This is fantastic!
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

VMG206 said...

Wow! What an amazing house you have. It looks great!
I'm visiting you today from Sugar Bee. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
~ Megin of VMG206
Enter my Blog Birthday Giveaway

Screaming Sardine said...

Oh, I LOVE it, Terri! I had never heard of barn tin on a wall before. Wish I had some now. :)

Cheers,
Tracy

Di said...

That's what I call rustic. Kudo's to you for a completely new look. Fun.

Gwen said...

Very nice! I love all the beautiful pieces of furniture in this room! Favorite is the buffet!

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm said...

How cool! I have never seen anything like it! It looks great with the barn wood floors!

Kathy Moreland said...

Great idea! What a unique wall treatment.

Kim M said...

Wow! How very unique! I love it when people think outside the box...it really paid off!

Holly Lefevre (504 Main) said...

stunning!

Carolyn Hamill said...

A quick question. How did you work around the switch plates and plug ins? We are getting ready to use recycled tin as a back splash and have many electrical,outlets to,work around. Thanks in advance. Love the walls. Carolyn