Friday, May 10, 2013

Chevron Stenciled Mini Tote Bag


I needed a small tote bag and couldn't find one anywhere.




So I did what every crafter in the world does, I made my own.

Want to know why there's a bag of pistachio's in there?




Because we spend most of our summer at the ball park watching this little superstar play.

I hate lugging my purse around at the games and needed something small to put the essentials in.
You know, essentials like my phone, cash for concession stand, pistachio's, sunflower seeds...
the important things.




I found this small canvas bag at Hobby Lobby for $1.99. Perfect size.




I was afraid the chevron would show up too much under the flower, so I laid the inside of the flower stencil on first.




Then added the chevron stencil over it.

I created the chevron by using a zig zag border pattern on my Cameo and duplicating it.




Then painted. I used regular paint with fabric medium added to it.




After it's dry, peel the old stencils off and add the flower stencil. Because you added the negative parts of the flower first, you'll be able to see where to put it.




And paint again.

Now the flower looks okay, but I thought the outline needed to be more defined.




So I added puff paint around the edges. Also a button in the middle and a couple of beads tied to ribbon for the zipper pull.




It's too long for my model, but it's perfect for me. 
Believe me, you would rather see Jordyn modeling it instead of me.
You're welcome.




Did you notice the necklace she's wearing?




It's the domino baseball necklaces I made for all of us to wear because "Team Jace" needs a little bling in the stands.






And just because I can, let's have one more look at Slugger, shall we?





Happy Friday!

Pin It

Here are the link parties I join.

12 comments:

Pam Jackson said...

That turned out really, really cute. I think I will check out Hobby Lobby for a bag like that just cause I am a photographer and I also need something for my wallet and keys when I have my camera bag with me.....don't need two heavy items to carry around. You did a great job.

Terrie said...

So cute and functional tote bag. You're creative to have made it so pretty.

Samantha said...

Wow, great photographs!! Action shots!

A Lived in Home said...

Very cute! Can't go wrong with chevron! Would love to have you link up to my party and follow along! http://alivedinhome.blogspot.com/2013/05/get-social-sunday.html

Jamie Dorobek said...

Super cute! I totally know what you mean about carrying around the "essentials"! Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

Emily Norris said...

Great bag! It's the perfect size.. and I love the sweet yellow flower on it. :)

We'd love for you to share this over at Much Ado About Monday, if you get a chance. :)http://www.huckleberrylove.com/2013/05/much-ado-about-monday-no9.html

~Emily
www.huckleberrylove.com

Angela Betlewicz said...

You did a amzing job! You should sell these babies! I would love for you to share these at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/assets-and-efforts-linky-party-2.html

Thank you,
Angela

Jill said...

Gorgeous bag Terri! Perfect size for the essentials! (Mine would include jelly snakes for when I watch my girls sports!! :) )

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

The CSI Girl said...

Super Cute!!! The chevron is adorable!!!
Come link up to The CSI Project. The challenge is Crafting with Patterns. So, this is perfect. The challenge ends tomorrow so come on over.
http://thecsiproject.com/2013/05/15/time-to-link-up-for-the-crafting-with-patterns-challenge

Rita said...

So cute! I love how you trimmed the flower with puff paint. It really made it stand out!

Kate said...

A very cute tote! Lovely pictures too :)

I'm thinking I need to make a couple to take on holiday in different materials. I've never tried decorating them myself with paint, may be something to try...

Over from the sew crafty linky party

Kate :)

Judy diyAddict said...

Hi Terri,

These are adorable projects. I would like to invite you to share your favorite projects/crafts/fashion/photography/recipes/humor/personal advice/blog tips and tricks at Pin It Monday Hop, It's a Pinterest Party (Link). Come over, have fun and get pinned. I hope to see you there.

Judy
Pursuit of Functional Home