Friday, May 17, 2013

Easiest Pot Holder and/or Coaster Tutorial Ever!


I'm not kidding, this will not only be one of the most simplest sewing projects you will ever do, but also a great way to use up all those fabric scraps you have in your stash.




I found this method in blogland probably 3 or 4 years ago which was "pre-pinterest" and I can't find the source to give the credit to anywhere. Whoever it was, just know that girl is a genius!
(If you know who it was, let me know so I can link to her.)




Before we get started, when I say "inner lining", that fabric under the top is what I'm talking about (that's not the back fabric of the pot holder).




You'll cut all your pieces the same size. I made mind 8" x 8".

You need 4 pieces of contrasting fabric for your top piece and iron them in half. Then 1 inner lining, 1 back fabric, and 1 fusible fleece (ironed to the inner lining fabric).




Stack and weave your 4 top pieces together with the raw edges to the outside and folded edges to the inside.

You now have 1 top piece. You may want to stick a few pins in it to help hold it together.




Then layer your top piece and back piece right sides together and the inner lining (with the fleece) fleece side down (right side of lining is up).




Then sew completely around (don't leave an opening for turning), trim seams and corners.


The reason you don't need an opening for turning is because...




you're going to turn it right side out through the top weaved piece.




Turn and press.




I didn't put a hanger on mine, but you could if you wanted to. Just layer it between the front and back pieces before you sew everything together.




And because I was on a roll, I made us a set of coasters, too.

I cut the squares for the coasters 4 1/2" x 4 1/2".




Go ahead, give it a try. So fun and easy!

Pin It

Click Here to see the parties I join each week.

13 comments:

Jessica @ View from River Mtn said...

What an easy project and they look so amazing. Great job!

Sandy said...

What a great idea! I am definitely making some of these :)

Cranberry Morning said...

Lovely, Terri! But I think there was also a little big of magic mixed in there.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Very cool and such a fun use of leftover fabric:@)

anastasia anezinis said...

so clever way to make it!!!well done!!
http://freestilcreatingbyvilly.blogspot.gr/

Shawnna Silvius said...

Very cute idea. I need to replace my miss-matched pot holders with a cute version of this. Thanks for sharing.

Jill said...

VERY clever! Love them!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

I too saved a lot of ideas before Pinterest came along and still do just in case something happens to Pinterest- other good things have decided to quit in the past. I saved the picture, tutorial and website for most of my ideas. However the one I found was for triangles. I haven't enJOYed making one yet, but think I'll like your squares as well. The triangle potholder is found @ http://alicias-hiding-place.blogspot.com/2011/09/tutorial-easy-patchwork-coasters_10.html?m=1

Virginia Megin Gallagher said...

These are great! You had me at "easy", lol!
I'm visiting you today from The Girl Creative. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat) and I'd love for you to link up! I hope you get a chance to stop by, link up and leave a comment, too!
~ Megin of VMG206
Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

Gina Wamsley said...

This is cute! A great easy sewing project for my daughter and I. Thanks!
Gina
http://ginascraftcorner.blogspot.com/

Margaret Christensen said...

Thank you for your great tutorial. I enjoy making pot holders except for that annoying turning part and then sewing up the opening - oh well I'll probably continue to make them but I'm definitely adding your tutorial into the mix. Love it. Pinned it. Thanks

Katie Adams said...

These look totally awesome! Thank you for sharing on Blog Stalking Thursday! I have featured your project on Blog Stalking Thursday Features YOU! The post is going live later tonight. I would love for you to stop by and grab a feature button. Thanks again for sharing!

Melissa said...

Love the colors. I've been making these as gifts for years too!

Here is the site that I found them on!

http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/11/crisscross_coas.html