Monday, June 3, 2013

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner


My husband is going stir crazy here at home recovering from his shoulder surgery. He's not able to work or do any projects around the house, yet, so he's just searching for little things that he can do.

Which brings me to the basket that has been sitting on top of our pantry for years. He decided to look and see what all has been accumulating up there and clean it out. Which by the way, he said I should have done years ago. Yeah, whatever.

Besides the 50 rolls of film (can I even get these developed anymore?), he found some rings and a baseball charm.



To say they were disgusting would be an understatement and that picture is even after I tried to clean them with your everyday cheapo jewelry cleaner.

I got on Pinterest and started looking around for jewelry cleaner and apparently I'm the last person on the planet to hear of this recipe to make your own cleaner. I didn't pin it because almost every one of them was the same recipe.


1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 Tbsp dish detergent (I used Dawn.)
1 cup water
Small piece of foil



All you do is heat your water in the microwave for 2 minutes and then add all all the other ingredients.

Lay your foil on the bottom of the bowl and soak your jewelry in there for 10 minutes.
Immediately after, rinse in cold water.



These two did pretty good, but the others...



were actually shining!




My wedding ring is even sparkly again.
Oh, and so is every other piece of jewelry that I could find in the house!

Happy Monday!

Pin It

3 comments:

Sara Hickman said...

I love your last line. I can see myself doing the exact same thing.

Sara @ The Hickman Five
www.thehickmanfour.blogspot.com

Samantha said...

Happy Moanday to you too, shiny ring owner!

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh no, Terri! Those rings would have been worth $150,000 if you hadn't cleaned them. LOL

Just kidding. They look beautiful! And Kevin and I have thought about Greg - and you - often - and pray for you both.

Keep finding those jobs for him to do. :-)