Friday, August 23, 2013

Burlap Tote Bag


I recently started working on all the "half-baked" crochet projects that I've started and never finished and needed a new tote bag to cart it all around with me.




Guess what I made it out of. 
Go ahead, guess.




A burlap table runner!

What more could I ask for? 

Burlap, Sunflowers, 50% off, and already half sewn for me! Perfect.




I was so darn excited about my find that I forgot to take a lot of photo's while I was whipping it up.

I'll try to explain.

I had to cut a little off of the runner to get it to the size that I wanted. I used one finished end and had to put a hem on the top of the side that I cut off.

Then I folded it in half (right sides together)  and sewed up the two sides.

To make the flat bottom of the bag, after the sides were sewn, I cut out a 1 1/2" square in the bottom two corners.




Then you match the centers and stitch across.




So that it will stand flat and help stabilize the bottom, I took a piece of cardboard (the size of the bottom of the tote) and glued burlap to it and laid it in the bottom of the tote.

It just helps hold it a little better.




I like carrying bags on my shoulder, so my straps were 24".

To keep it rustic, I used jute with a bead on the end to tie it closed.







Who would of thought? A table runner!

Now I've got my eye out for Halloween runners to make the kiddo's their trick or treat bags.

Or how fun would these be to use for gift bags at Christmas?

Pin It


20 comments:

Sandy said...

OMG Terri I LOVE this!! Who would have thought you could make a cute tote out of a table runner. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for one now! :)

Agy Lee said...

That is cute. Burlap material is going to make that tote last!

Stone Cottage Adventures said...

I LOVE that tote bag!! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

Ruth Soukup said...

Okay now this is creative!! I love it! Thank you for sharing how you made it Terri!

I’d love it if you linked this up over at Living Well Spending Less for Thrifty Thursday this week! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

Karla said...

So cute!! I need to make one of these! I would LOVE for you to share this at "That's My Style" Link Party TODAY! I hope to see you there. :)

Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

Samantha said...

That's lush! I love it!!

Robin said...

How wonderful!!! I love doing projects with place mats and now I'll look for table runners! I came over from Monday Funday to see your fantastic project and I'm so glad I did!
xo

Jill Shepherd said...

Great idea Terri - I love your new bag!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

bonniegetchell said...

This is so, so cute! I love the sunflowers! I'm visiting from Monday Funday :) Hope you'll stop by sometime!

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
www.revolutionariesblog.com

LilyWhite said...

Very Cute! Burlap is so in right now. This is a great bag for fall. Would you link this up to the frugal, crafty, home blog hop?

http://www.lilywhite-designs.com/2013/08/frugal-crafty-home-38.html

Gail said...

How clever of you to use a burlap runner! So decorative and unique!

Nici @ Posed Perfection said...

This is absolutely adorable! How clever to use a runner to make the tote bag! I'm pinning to make one for myself! I'd love for you to link this up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop that goes live tonight at 8pm Central. Hope to see you there!
Blessings,
Nici

Poppy said...

Oh how cute! I love the sunflowers on the burlap and how you added the jute and wooden bead:)A lovely bag for fall:) Thanks for the tutorial:) Hugs,Poppy

Miranda Winslett said...

How cute! I'd love for you to link it up on my blog for my DIY Weekend link party.

http://mrandmrswinslett.blogspot.com/2013/08/diy-weekend-829.html

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

This is SO creative and doesn't look handmade at all, esp with the ties. I look for fabric everywhere, but hadn't thought about table runners! Something to think about: Instead of cutting out the corners, I sew the side (& bottom if not folded) pinch the corner and sew across, then I do not cut off the corner to help reinforce the corners even more.

Danice said...

Very creative and pretty. Thank you for sharing :)

Chelsea B. said...

I love this burlap! It will be great this fall because burlap is really in! Great tutorial too!

Get Your Crap Together
Please join our Pattern Party It starts the 1st of each month

Kayla Janachovsky said...

Looks awesome! Don't forget to link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-27.html

Life With The Crust Cut Off said...

This looks awesome!!! We would love it if you would link up at our linky party:
http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/two-girls-and-a-party-link-up-32/
Live every Wednesday to Sunday.
Hosted by:
http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
We hope to see you there!

Rhonda Kueck said...

We love what you have done. Please come share it with us at http://obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com/2013/09/craft-frenzy-friday-3.html Craft Frenzy Friday! The party starts Thursday to 7pm cst. I won't be a party without you.