Friday, November 22, 2013

Craft Fail turned Happily Ever After


Today is my birthday (and no, we won't say how many candles are on the cake), and this year, even though I'm busy making Christmas projects and gifts, I decided to make something for myself.

(That, my friends, just might be the longest sentence ever!)



I've wanted a sign like this for such a long time and thought it would be simple to do, but it almost ended up in the trash.




I had 3 boards and stained them and cut my stencil out of contact paper.




I've always had a problem with my paint bleeding and not having crisp lines when I stencil, so I searched Pinterest and found out the other crafters would put a coat of Mod Podge on first and then paint.

Okay, sounds good. Let's try it.




After the Mod Podge dried, I dabbed on the paint.

Here's where everything went south.




I did something horribly wrong and didn't have crisp lines by any means!

Did I apply the Mod Podge too thick? Not enough paint? 
At this point, I didn't care what I did wrong, just gave up.

And the boards sat on the table sadly ever after.




Then one day I noticed this sign that I bought and was hanging in our family room and suddenly had an aha moment.




I didn't want it quite as distressed as the other sign, but I sanded over the letters to make them look rough and then applied more stain over them.




Since I was happy now with it, I (actually Greg) screwed in two other boards to hold the three together and added jute to hang it.




Okay, little guy, now I'm loving you!




The rustic star garland that I wrapped around the sides is from Hobby Lobby. You can only find it at Christmas time so I always pick some up every year when they're 50% off. It's perfect for all kinds of different projects during the year.




It originally was going to hang on the white wall in the family room, but I like it so much more on the rustic barn tin walls in the living room that I think I might keep it there.

Oh, and I'm marking it off of my craft fail list.
It's going to be happily ever after hanging there.

Happy Friday!

Pin It



13 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I LOVE IT! We just tore down an old milkhouse and the boards would be great for a project like this. You're an inspiration, Terri!

♫Happy Birthday to You!!!♫

Al@PolkaDotsandPaisley said...

Happy birthday! I love the sign and think the distressing is a great solution.

Samantha said...

I love ticking things off the list and I BET you do too!! Happy belated birthday! xx

Christy Spurlock said...

I love the sign! I've just starting this type of DIY projects and you have given me some "better" ideas for this stenciling. Thanks for a great post.

Mindi Carwin said...

I love it!! I am so glad you didn't give up on it! I used to have the same problem when I stenciled, and I also tried the mod podge, but it also didn't work for me. Now when I stencil I put hardly any paint on my brush and only do one coat of paint and it seems to work so much better! I hope you had a happy birthday!

Kayla @ Home Coming said...

Beautiful idea, and super cute saying. I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-diyers-39.html

Katie @ Creatively Living said...

What a great project! It turned out really great! Thanks for linking it up at Monday Funday.

Janell K said...

Very Cute! What a great fix to the uneven lines that come with stenciling sometimes :)

brittany renee said...

Super cute! It's amazing how some distressing saves what we think are some crafting fails. I love this and think it looks wonderful!

AngelaMuir said...

Cute! i love the addition of the little stars :)

Miranda @ Someday Crafts said...

Such a sweet sign! I love it! Thanks for linking up at Whatever Goes Wednesday. We'll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts tomorrow :)

Olichik said...

Nice read. Very good post for fun and some time pass. online-essay-writer.org Thanks for sharing.

JoAnn SweetPepperRose said...

As a fellow crafter, I also am not too great with stenciling letters. But your project turned out looking very nice! Perhaps the letters aren't supposed to be perfect. Great idea to combine the three and add the stars. Hopping over from Show and Tell party.