Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Guest Post: Cranberry Morning


I have a special treat for you today.

My friend, Judy, from Cranberry Morning is here to share one of her warm (and yummy!) Christmas traditions with us.





Thank you, Terri, for giving me this opportunity to Guest Post and share my favorite Christmas recipe with your readers! My name is Judy, I live in the beautiful rolling hills of NW Wisconsin, and I blog daily as Cranberry Morning.  In the wintertime, when I'm not blogging, you'll most likely find me making soap or reading. Stop in sometime. And I hope you can work this recipe into your Christmas menu. You won't be sorry!
***
Clam chowder on Christmas Eve has been a tradition at our home for many years. Although our Christmas celebration has changed from the time our kids were little, it is nice to have some things stay the same, like this great clam chowder. This recipe is one I made from guessing at the ingredients in a clam chowder I enjoyed years ago in Massachusetts. It seems that this recipe used to require many more steps, but now I've got it fine tuned and pretty easy to make. It's not just for Christmas Eve, so it would make a great New Year's Eve meal also. The Christmas dishes had belonged to my mom.


Don't blame me for the knife and spoon placement.



Judy's Clam Chowder:

10 slices of hickory-smoked bacon, fried crisp, broken into tiny pieces
Hormel® Natural Choice® ham can be substituted for the bacon. It has no preservatives and is 100 percent natural with no artificial colors or flavors, and no added nitrites or nitrates and is gluten free.
4 small potatoes, skin on, diced
3 small carrots, diced
4 ribs of celery, minced
1 med. onion, minced
1 Carmen red pepper or red bell pepper (sweet), diced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
3-4 cans of clams. Do not drain. If minced, use as is. If chopt, run through food processor first. This is simply a preference. I don't like big, rubbery hunks of clam. Ew!!!Also, I prefer Gorton's brand.
2 quarts of whole milk
3/4 c. flour
1 bay leaf, broken in pieces
1-2 t. thyme (I used 2 t.)
black pepper
sea salt to taste

Open 3-4 cans of clams, pour all (incl. juice) into saucepan. Add potatoes and carrots and cook til they are just tender, not mushy.

In a skillet, saute celery, onion, peppers in a couple T. butter until tender.

In a separate bowl, whisk flour into a couple cups of the milk. Add remaining milk little by little, whisking as you add so there are no lumps.

Pour all (including the liquid from the potato/carrots/clams) into my large Martha Stewart stainless steel pot which doesn't let anything stick on the bottom. Heat on Low, stirring. Add seasonings. Bring to near boil, but DON'T BOIL.

At this point, you can then cool the chowder and keep refrigerated overnight OR (if you're going to eat in a couple hours,) let sit covered, then bring back to temperature and serve.

Want a great accompaniment to my clam chowder? Try these popovers 
***

Buy Any Five, Get One FREE
Large, handcrafted vegan luxury soaps
...and more! Check out all our handcrafted soaps at

Photobucket

Thank you, Judy, for sharing your recipe with us!

I know many of you already know Judy, but if you haven't met her, yet, stop in and visit her at

She's one of the nicest people I know living out there in blogland!

1 comment:

Julie Corbisiero said...

Hi Ladies, this recipe for clam chowder looks so good and thanks for sharing this.
Julie at Julie's Lifestyle