Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Guest Post: Scarlett's Excellent Adventures


Please welcome Scarlett from Scarlett's Excellent Adventures here today.

She's going to share her Piglet's Haycorn Cakes that sound absolutely yummy!

Take it away, Scarlett.






 I would like to thank Terri for having me as her guest. I am Scarlett from Scarlett's Excellent Adventures. What are my Excellent Adventures? The biggest one is being a wife and a stay-at-home mom to my little one. The next adventure on the list, is weight loss. I gained a lot of weight over the years, between infertility treatments, having a baby and nursing, and now is the time for me to lose it. In the weight-loss process I am learning to eat healthy and live a healthier lifestyle. My biggest challenge is how to eat well while having a toddler running around. My blog is centered around healthy foods and healthy cooking, all done in an easy way. That being said, I love to bake, but in trying to live a healthier lifestyle, I do not have the chance to do it that often. Since it is the holidays, I have been itching to get out my baking pans and oven mitts. I was very excited to have the opportunity to bake something special for A Creative Princess readers! This recipe was inspired by my son and Winnie-the-Pooh. I hope you enjoy it!

The other night, I read a very sweet book to my son called, Night, Night Piglet. It is a cute board book about Piglet and Winnie-the-Pooh having a sleep over. It is filled with great bedtime stories and comes with a cloth cover that has Piglet attached, where your child can put Piglet “to bed” in a pouch in the front. One of the stories in the book is one where Piglet needs to make “Haycorn muffins.” It is his specialty and he is having trouble making the muffins and decides to make it a cake. The book lists the ingredients piglet uses - flour, sugar, honey, etc. As my son drifted off to sleep, I started thinking, how would one make a haycorn muffin (or cake)? I had some ideas, but the next day I posed the question to my husband and we came up with a plan!






Piglet's Haycorn Cakes

½ pkg of Betty Crocker French Vanilla Cake Mix*
1 can Betty Crocker Cream Cheese Frosting
¼ cup of honey
3 tbsp Nutella
Haycorn” toppers – following directions from Sweet Haute

Prepare ½ of a package of Betty Crocker French Vanilla Cake Mix according to package instructions. Don't forget to halve all of the ingredients listed on the package. Line a cupcake tin with parchment baking cups (feel free to use decorative baking cups as well). Fill each baking cup 2/3 the way full with batter. Bake according to package instructions. Insert a toothpick in the center of a cupcake, if the toothpick pulls out clean, remove the cupcakes from the oven. Cool the cupcakes on a cooling rack.

Fill a piping bag with Nutella. When cool, hold each cupcake by the bottom, and insert your piping bag tip into the top, center of the cupcake. Squeeze the Nutella into the cupcake. You should feel the cupcake firm in your hand as it fills. Set aside and fill the others. After filling, frost each cupcake with cream cheese frosting and top with a “Haycorn” topper.
* Note: ½ a package of cake mix makes 10 good sized cupcakes. According to the package, 1 package makes 24 cupcakes – feel free to use the whole package, if you do so, double the amount of honey & Nutella added to the cupcakes.






I loved the Haycorn toppers. I was pondering (Winnie-the-Pooh style) how I was going to make a “haycorn” topper, when I saw this fabulous tutorial from Sweet Haute. I couldn't find the cookies she used, so I used 100 calorie chocolate chip cookies. They turned out to be oval so I broke them in half. Because the “haycorn” is going to be pushed into the cupcake frosting, be sure to place the broken edge in the back where the frosting meets the haycorn.






Everyone in our house loved Piglet's Haycorn Cakes. They were very sweet, but the Nutella added just the right amount of creaminess and that wonderfully, nutty flavor I imagine Piglet's cakes would have had. I believe Pooh would have approved. I hope you do too!

Other favorite recipes you might enjoy:

Thank you so much, Scarlett, for sharing these with us.

Be sure to check out Scarlett's Excellent Adventures for more great recipe's.
(I can't wait to try out the Spinach Quiche!)

2 comments:

Scarlett @Scarletts Excellent Adventures said...

Thank you so much for having me!

Vorpaks said...

Oh my gosh, this is perfect for a Pooh themed party!