Friday, January 3, 2014

Pocket Penguin Felt Play Mat


(Go ahead, try and say that post title three times fast!)

Felt Play Mats seem to be all the rage on Pinterest and in blogland these days.

I finally jumped on the bandwagon, but added a little twist to it.




A smaller version that you can fold up and take with you.

(This was actually a stocking stuffer for Tierni. She loves little things.)




I was walking around Hobby Lobby one day and found those cute penguin brads and bottle caps. The box is actually a Wooden Soap Container from WholePort.




When I bought the brads and bottle caps, I thought I could put the penguins in the caps and add Dimensional Magic. They were a little too big, so I went with Plan B and glued them to the other side with E-6000.
(Obviously, one of the blue guys waddled off when I was taking the picture.)




I painted the box and mod-podged paper for the trim on the sides.




Now it was time for a place for them to play. You could get as detailed as you want here, but I just went with a mountain, water, and igloo.

I cut out the igloo and sewed the squares for the ice before I sewed it to the mat. I wanted a place for the penguins to slip in and get warm.




Time to play!

And when you're finished playing...




Everything fits in your travel box and ready to go.




Hey, look who decided to show back up. The MIA blue guy!

Happy Friday!

Pin It


10 comments:

LINDA said...

What a cute little play thing you created. Lots of room for imaginative play!

Susan Forsythe said...

Absolutely ADORABLE!!! Thank you for sharing your creativity with us!

Stephanie Jackson said...

This is so cute. I miss having a Hobby Lobby near by! Thank you for the inspiration and I will be off to Jo-Anns fabric this coming weekend.
Cheers,
Stephanie

Jelli B. said...

Such a cute idea. I love penguins and am always on the lookout for quiet playtime activities for my toddler. Pinning!

Lindsey@InspiringCreations said...

Hi Teri! This little Penguin box is super adorable! What a fun idea for the kids! This would even make a fun addition to a quiet book! Thanks for the inspiration! :)


I am giving away a fat quarter bundle on my blog today! Would love to have you enter! :) Happy new Year!

http://www.inspiringcreationsblog.com/2014/01/fabric-giveaway-and-free-pattern.html

Vanessa said...

Super Adorable! That would be an awesome gift for a new mom. Great job!

Ambika @asunnyellowindow said...

Adorable playmat, and the fact that it all can be bundled neatly into the box is too good! You've executed it real cool!
Lovely blog you've got here, found you via TipJunkie

Claire LiveLoveCreate said...




Great project !!

I would love you to come and share @ Craft, Create & Inspire linky party !!!

Look forward to seeing you there :)

http://livel0vecreate.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/craft-create-inspire-linky-party_11.html

Claire x

Bright and Beautiful Life said...

What a cute idea for a child to do during church time when they need to be quiet. I have a little granddaughter that I'm going to make one for. Thanks for your tutorial. Would you be willing to share this at our Making Monday link party? We would love it and think our readers will, too. Thanks. Have a great day. Lori @ A Bright and Beautiful Life http://www.abrightandbeautifullife.com/making-monday-22/

Victoria said...

This is AMAZING! My daughter is such a crab at restaurants! I think something like this would definitely entertain her! I can't wait to try making one of my own!

I'm one of the hosts over at the Awesome Things Tuesday blog hop! Feel free to check out other projects and link up yours while you're at it! We'd love to have you!

-V
http://vlittlebirds.blogspot.com