Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Stash Buster: Minky Scarf


My fabric closet is overflowing. One of my goals this year is to try and use up a lot of the perfectly good fabric that I save and stuff in the closet. Some of it is brand new and hasn't even been used and some of it is scraps from other sewing projects.




When I finished Christina's quilt, I had a long remnant of the black minky left and it went in the closet. For about 5 minutes.

I turned back around, grabbed it out of the "dark hole", and made a scarf.




I didn't measure it, but it was 7" wide and one long piece. I put it on top of fleece that I had (from the closet) and cut the fleece the same size as the minky.




I sewed it right sides together with an opening for turning.

Turned it and top stitched around the whole scarf, making sure to catch the opening and sewing it shut as I went.








This took maybe 30 minutes to do and the good thing is that there are 2 less pieces of fabric in the closet!

Pin It

6 comments:

Sally said...

I've been trying to use up some of the stuff I have, too, and to finish up some UFO's. This morning, I finished up 3 infinity scarves that I had bought the fabric for this past fall. Now, I need to figure out what to work on next.

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Isn't it so much fun creating things from remnants! I love how your minky scarf turned out....pretty fabric! Have a lovely day! Hugs, Poppy

Jane Skoch said...

Popping in from the Linky party! I love your scarf! I, too, have a lot of scraps. I hate getting rid of them but time is usually a big constraint. I did make myself a cowl and hat out of some scrap fleece recently. This is adorable!

Jane Skoch said...

Popping in from the Linky party! I love your scarf! I, too, have a lot of scraps. I hate getting rid of them but time is usually a big constraint. I did make myself a cowl and hat out of some scrap fleece recently. This is adorable!

MomMaven said...

Popping over from Not Just a Housewife Linky. I don't sew but I love this scarf!

Crochet Hooks said...

awesome scarf and stash busting - can't beat it! :)