Friday, March 21, 2014

Zip-It Purse


A purse like this was on Group Deals awhile back and I deleted the e-mail it was in. When I delete something like this, it's a guarantee that I won't stop thinking about it and want it.

So I made it myself.




They're going to be perfect for this summer to take to ball games, amusement parks, etc.

I'm sorry I don't have a pattern for you, I just started in and winged it one afternoon.

I hope to have a real tutorial for you soon if you're interested.


Here's what little explanation that I do have:




I did this one first and for the zippers, I put them in the front like you would do for the inside of a purse.




I sewed in the loops for the removable strap.




For this yellow and gray one, I did the zippers a little different (even though they both look the same when finished).




Instead of starting with one full front piece, I cut it into 3 equal parts and then added the zippers to connect them.




I thought this way was easier and I think it lays a little nicer.




That will give you an idea of how big those front zip pockets are.




The rest of the bag is just your basic purse pattern.




Keeping it real here, when I was ironing the purse after it was all finished and I was so darn proud of myself, I accidentally caught my nylon strap under the iron and it melted. 
Are you kidding me?!!! How can anybody be so stupid?!




I thought about just pitching it and starting over, but since this purse was for me, I added another small piece of the webbing over the top and sewed it on.

I know it's there, but I really don't think anyone else will notice it. The black hides it real well.




The funny (?) thing is, I ruined the strap that I sewed into the purse, not the one that was detachable. I don't mess around when I screw things up!





Happy Friday!

Pin It




15 comments:

Al@PolkaDotsandPaisley said...

These are so sweet. I especially love the white, black, and pink (red?) one. My stepdaughter has a similar purse I brought home from Scotland but I never thought to make one for myself.

Becky Kalson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MomMaven said...

So cute!! I'd love one of those!

Becky Kalson said...

Thanks for sharing. I need to make one of these. Great job! Coming over from Motivate Me Monday

Crystelle Boutique said...

Super convenient, and super cute!!! Great sewing!
:) Have a happy week!!
“hugs” Crystelle
Crystelle Boutique

mom929 said...

I love these. Hope you do post a tutorial, since I am not enough of a sewer to make one for myself without instructions. But I would love one for the summer. And I love your happy prints!

Artsy VaVa said...

You did a great job on the purses! My daughter sews and I am going to share this with her. Thanks!

Ana Lopes said...

Wow, Terri this is too gorgeous and pratical. Pinned! Thanks so much for the great tutorial!
Hope you have a wonderful day and weekend!
Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Creative Dream said...

I think this is a awesome project. Feel free to link up any time at my link party on Fridays :) http://cityofcreativedreams.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Lachman said...

I really like this idea. I wonder if there is a way to refashion the fabric on the purse I have now to make it into a zip-it-purse. It is so hard to keep things organized they way it is now.

Cathy said...

Hi there
Would love a tutorial
I am kinda terrified of zippers

lol
Cathy

Toodie said...

What a fun purse for those times when you just need a little something and not that huge tank of a bag we usually haul around! LOL!

Toodie said...

What a fun purse for those times when you just need a little something and not that huge tank of a bag we usually haul around! LOL!

Toodie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Toodie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.