Friday, May 30, 2014

Epic Craft Fail to Nautical Purse


This was one of my biggest craft fails, but...




I'm loving it now!

One thing for sure, when I screw something up, I really screw it up.

I wanted a medium size purse for summer and found the awesome navy chevron at Hobby Lobby and thought if I cut my pieces about 11" square, I could get just about the right size.

Then everything went south.




First off, I put the magnets in too far down. They probably should have been about an inch higher.




I wanted a flat bottom like I did Here for a tote bag. I cut my squares 1 1/2" instead of 1" and it was just too much for the smaller bag. What was I thinking?




Then to top everything off, I forgot the handles when I was sewing it all together.

This epic craft fail sat on a table in my craft room for a couple of weeks.

The more I stared at it when I would go up there, the more it grew on me.
Maybe I can fix this.




I added grommets and put in the rope for the handles.
(I found the rope in the ribbon section at Hobby Lobby.)




I like throwing my purse over my shoulder, so I made them extra long.




For some reason, I think adding the grommets and handles offset all the other mistakes and it came all together like it was meant to be.

I'm so glad I left it laying around and didn't trash it!

Have an awesome weekend!

Pin It


10 comments:

Carmody Tisdale said...

This looks great to me!

Leilani the Clyde Woman said...

Hurray for the save! Glad you are enjoying that adorable purse. I'm the guest co-hosts for Making Monday this week and had to read this. I had an epic slipcover fail recently but I refuse to trash it. Now...how to save it...

Michele Reynolds said...

I <3 your pretty purse, especially the straps! Would never know your last minute changes:) Pinned

Kelley said...

I know how you feel! But you found a way to make it work in the end, and it looks just like you meant to do it all the time. Good work. :)

Vpmm67 said...

I saw this and instantly fell in love with it and I must say if I screwed up this good I would be a happy,happy girl ! Great job sweetie!

Vpmm67 said...

I saw this and instantly fell in love with it and I must say if I screwed up this good I would be a happy,happy girl ! Great job sweetie!

Colleen said...

The farthest thing from a fail! I love the gromets and rope handle... I'd like a beach bag for that.

Sarah Nenni-Daher said...

Your skill is off the charts if you consider this a fail. It looks lovely!

PS Found you via The Girl Creative's Link Party today.

Jill Shepherd said...

Brilliant Terri! They are just the perfect handles for your hag! I've still never tried grommets myself - must get a round tuit!!

Rose FineCraftGuild said...

Terry, your story is SO similar to the way I design things. Needless to say that I have hundreds of half finished projects laying around, who, then, by magic, as if by Divine power, find their own grand finale. Your summer bag is fantastic. I adore it. Thank you for the link up at the FineCraftGuild!