Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pickled Beets


I know what you're thinking. Beets?! Really, Terri?



I never thought I would ever eat a beet, but believe me, these are awesome!

I canned 8 quarts last Friday when our Internet was out and I'm hoping that will last us for awhile.



They're definitely a pain in the "you know what" to work with and my kitchen looked like a crime scene after I was finished, but they are so well worth it.


You start by taking each beet and trimming the tops and bottoms to about an inch from the beet. 

Boil them until you can stick a fork in them (giggle - giggle) and then peel and cut them. I cut mine into chunks.

Next combine these ingredients:

3 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar
2 cups water
1 Tbsp pickling spice
1/2 tsp salt

Combine with the beets in a large pot and bring to a boil.
Boil for 5 minutes and then pack into your jars.



The hardest part is getting all of those beets trimmed and peeled. After that, you're home free.

They're perfect to bring out at Christmas and even tying a bow around the jar and adding to a gift basket.

Have a great Tuesday!

Pin It

3 comments:

Starr said...

I love pickled beets! I just buy Safie brand from Costco, partly because beets are so messy. I'm the only one in my house who'll eat 'em though!

Al@PolkaDotsandPaisley said...

I love pickled beets and make them every summer. I always wear disposable and put a dollar store table cloth over my workspace. When I'm done, I just throw it away.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I'm loving this recipe Terri!
I would love to know what are 'pickling spice' because they don't sell them here, but I could just put in there separately and I sure want to make this!
Thank you.
FABBY