Monday, December 29, 2014

Faux Patina Monogram with Bowdabra Bow


Remember last week when I told you about Bowdabra and showed the bows I made for the old farm doors in our entryway?
It's Here if you missed it and the Barn Tin Walls post is Here.

Well, I love this thing so much that now I can't stop making bows!



When we decided to put barn tin on our entryway and dining room walls, I never thought about how hard it would be to find something to hang on those walls. It's not your average plain white wall. 

I think I solved one little spot on those walls with this faux patina monogram. I'd been working on it and then received the Bowdabra and the bow was the extra "pop" that I needed for it to stand out.




This is what I used for the W.
Regular acrylic paint in slate grey, metallic paint, and distress ink.




Our natural patina walls are more rust than grey, so I wanted this to be more grey to stand out. I painted the W in the regular grey paint first and then rubbed on the distress ink. It still needed the lighter shine, so I dry brushed on the grey metallic paint.

This W sat in my craft room for about a month, then I received the Bowdabra and that light bulb in my head went off.



I took the ribbon they sent me and cut a couple of 6" pieces from each kind and cut a dove tail in all of them and then made a package bow. 
(The Bowdabra comes with the instructions for the bows.)

This bow would, also, make a cute hairbow and it's perfect for using up all the little pieces of ribbon you have leftover. 




The bow was just the right extra touch that I needed!

Thank you Bowdabra and Totally Tutorials!
Without this opportunity, that W would still be sitting in my craft room!

Pin It

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Beautiful Terri! :-)

Felecia Cofield said...

Hi Terri! What a cute project! I love the bow! I have a Bowdabra and I need to make one of these bows! Your blog is awesome! I need to learn how you set it up this way as mine is a .blogspot too! You are such a crafty gal! Thanks for sharing all you do! Blessings from Bama!

Samantha Mabe said...

I love the bow! I have a monogram similar to this on my door and I'm looking to update it. Visiting from the Craftaholics link party.

Carol TheAnswerIsChocolate said...

Great combination of paint and distress inks and the bow is perfect. Featuring when my party opens up tonight!